Wednesday, January 3, 2024

where's it gone, where's it gone



 

On a mad jag of listening to peak 2step and UKG - here's a playlist of the stuff - and this one, Stephen Emmanuel presents Colours, "Hold On (SE22 Mix)" -  leaps out at me for its feverish sultry hard-swung insanity.


 























Here's what I wrote about it at the time: 

"The vocal – a paroxysm of hair-trigger blurts and stuttered spasms of passion – doesn’t resemble a human being so much as an out-of-control desiring machine."

Of course, Todd Edwards is overwhelmingly present here as an influence, but I think the student has surpassed the master.  As always, the UK pushes the US template just that little bit further, into the deranged. 

Many questions remain unanswered

- who was Stephen Emmanuel?

- why is it an "SE22 Mix"?

- was the "Cute Mix" any cop? 

SE22 - which includes bits of Herne Hill and East Dulwich - is quite near where I used to live (Effra Road, close to Brockwell Park). Although that was back in the early '90s - by 98-99 I was in New York. 

I must have the vinyl with the 'Cute Mix' on it somewhere.

Ah, SE22 is a Stephen Emmanuel alias - S E, geddit?

Andy Lysandrou is somewhere in the background of the project - A.L. as in Boogie Beat Records and then Ice Cream Records (and also Truesteppers)

But apart from a couple of other tunes, SE leaves scarcely any spoor for the nuumologist to track 


Nice tune - nice 'n ' ripe



10 degrees Below - a name I remember, fairly vaguely




Alongside SE's slim discography, those Basement Jaxx boys had the good taste to invite this mysterious personage to remix one of their tunes 




The SE22 mix of "Hold On" is so preferred by the massive that - even when it isn't credited as such, but just as "Hold On" - that is it what you will find on YouTube. 


Aha, hold on a minute - found a version of "Hold On" that isn't "SE22"



But it is a remix, by Y-Tribe,  that uses the "SE22" as its launchpad

As does this by Duncan Powell, an auteur of "late 2step"



These remixes seem to be from four years or so after the original release 

Neither manages to make "SE22" any more jittery or eroto-delirious than the original 

If anything, it goes into the Zone of Fruitless Intensification

Becomes an irritant

Bit like drill & bass or breakcore's relationship to jungle 

Yet these re-renderings are by tru believers, not outsiders



Blimey, even more remixes!


And yet another by Duncan Powell, which  admittedly is quite eroto-delirious




4/4, so basically turns it back into Todd Edwards, but more flailing and disjointed than he'd ever dare.


And then this one which is just vandalism, and I assume unsanctioned 




Back to the immaculately maculate original




But wait a minute! With the YouTube clip above, in the artist and track title, suddenly someone called June Hamm appears!

The vocalist, one must assume. But there's no trace of anything else by someone of that name.

Crikey, another fold in the fabric - Craig David did a kind of cover / rewrite of the tune 


Most of what's good about it is the original - and Craig, mostly, squirts a load of vocal whipped cream over it. The Niche-y Bassline element is nice, but Tinchy's contribution is fairly feeble.

But I like it -  it could hardly fail to tickle my nuumerogenous zones.  

Now with nuum, there's always pre-echoes as well as after-echoes




And I always connect "Hold On (SE22 Mix)" with earlier febrilities such as this 














5 comments:

TF-Guy said...

Gotta tell ya Simon, I'm glad seeing you making YT playlists again (there are far more rarer stuff there than the other options xD). Gotta say that I'm surprised too, you've been reconsidering late 90s DnB lately?! I confess I don't have the guts, from 97 onwards I can only listen to PHOTEK's coffee table Jungle for more than half hour (with a few exceptions here and there..).

Mr Reynolds, I gotta ask ya: I know you have some presence on YT, lectures, interviews, etc (I've been watching all I could). Anyway, has it never come to your mind shooting at least one, a single one, video-essay, 15min long and all? -- I ask this cuz you're the best music critic (who still writing about contemporary music) that I know of. I'd love to see your impact in the audience and algorithm used to things like Trash Theory and Anthony Fantano

*Not saying these guys are bad/bland/uninspired or anything. It's just that your brand of theory, passion, conviction, and hype resonate with me much more than their stuff.

Big ups from Brazil!

SIMON REYNOLDS said...

Cheers for the interest. Yes YouTube, when it comes to playlists, there's things that are just not on Spotify or Tidal or the others. UK garage and 2step is not well served by the streamers, a whole swathe of music is missing there.

A video-essay is too much like hard work, I think

And I prefer what you can do with words - in conjunction with videos or other illustrations in a blog post.

And you can go back and do revisions on a blog post - like with this one, I've returned to twice already, adding new stuff.

In terms of my own consumption, I hardly ever look at a video essay. And rarely do podcasts either. I think it's possible I've been on more podcasts than I've actually listened to!

I think it's because video-essays and pods, they demand your full attention, whereas with reading a blog or magazine, you can listen to music at the same time. And you can read at your own speed, skim through something, or savor it slowly. I suppose you can do the higher speed viewing on YouTube but it's not the same as the way an eye can move across text, zooming in to focus then going back to skim mode.

Thirdform said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thirdform said...

I really rate that Duncan Powell remix. Reminds me of some ice cold Anthill Mob bits I have (fitful, segmented, fractionated 2step...) incredible stuff really, so inhuman without being dark garridge, yet...
This is a favourite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bzQdFstGwg

SIMON REYNOLDS said...

A mate of mine was obsessed with the Anthill Mob's garridge trax.

I was just about to proclaim them a rare example (and nuumologists's dream) of a group who were active in hardcore/jungle and UKG/2step using the exact same name.

But it turns out that the Anthill Mob who did "Black Rushin" etc are a completely different bunch!

How weird is that? (Still quite nuumy though)

I guess Penelope Pitstop, Wacky Races, etc was just a big part of the UK kid's memory-strata.