Sunday, May 14, 2023

toytown tekno 3 of ?


 

Love the sustained japery of the titling here - Horsepower, "Bolt, "Mane Mix"

Oh and apparently there was a "Ministry of Dung Mix"! 

Horse-sourced, of course, in



"Black Beauty" makes me think of amphetamine pills of the mod and Northern Soul era but that's probably an interpretive leap too far

More horse-core


This CJ Bolland aka Ravesignal tune 'Horsepower" was one of the tracks I really loved when I first got into the hardcore techno in the later months of '91 - it came in a batch of CD singles from R&S that also included "Dominator" and "Energy Flash" and "Mentasm". To say I was blown away is an understatement - the combined impact blew me off course, sent me down a whole different life path. (Well, that and a pill). 

I interviewed Bolland in early '92 when over in Ghent to chat with the R&S crew for this Details feature - another course-resetting experience. 

Whatever else it refers to, "Horsepower" must also be a nod to Team R&S as Techno Champions, what with the label's Ferrari-ripped off logo. 
















^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you know that one of my namesakes is  a top UK commentator on show jumping? (And breeder). Known for his trenchant opinions

No comments: