Sunday, July 21, 2024

juicy



Loved this pop-core tune back in the day ('92)

That's the juiciest mix but this one has its a-peel 




Still, pipped to the post by the original mix. 


Skin Up had another entertaining cheesy-quaver moment


Is that the voice of Neil the Hippie in there? 


Ha, something I only just noticed - Skin Up, aka Jason Laurence Cohen, went on to the Big Beat artist Laidback, who recorded for a label I was fond of for a moment - Bolshi

However I don't remember being that struck by the Laidback tunes - the outfits I liked most were Rasmus and Beachcomas

The latter did this fruit 'n veg themed oddity -  possibly Gardeners Question Time sourced samples that go "peaches, shaped like doughnuts... split and juicy",  "strawberries", "nuts.... and medleys"



Love it to the marrow. (Boom boom)


A Mekons sample too wouldyabelieve


One of my absolute favorites out of that late '90s harvest, the ripening bounty before all went to shit in the early 2000s


That's my video by the way, illustrated with idyllic images of the Chilterns (watch out for my mum) and Oxfordshire and Maryon Park, South London -  the bulk of the pix first aired in this elegiac post




5 comments:

Thirdform said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thirdform said...

ha, that beachcoma tune sounds like the Ozric Tentacles. no more slating broken beat and 4hero's jazz fusion!

Thirdform said...

without the ethnic affectations, granted. but check space between your ears. similar white rasta cod reggae.

SIMON REYNOLDS said...

Can't hear any resemblance to Ozrics - and I'm somehow who's suffered through reviewing one of their albums!

Cod-reggae? There's no skank there at all.

And what have Ozric Tentacles got to do with broken beat or post-being-any-good 4 Hero?





Thirdform said...

ah i meant the bassline is cod reggae. similarly ozrics stuff has no skank, even the track — space between your ears is notable for not getting reggae at all.

The 4hero comment was me being facetious about how big beat is ultimately a reversion from rave in the same way that jazzy broken beat is, but because you have post-punk reared ears it works for you, similarly to how 4hero's post-jungle jazzual stuff works for me, even if I can acknowledge it's nowhere near as futuristic or innovative as journey from the light, t&j, etc etc.

I have a weird taste though, I think I am beholden to the rhythm principle over tunes in general. Or what I mean by that is when I want tunes, they have to be proper tunes. At least that's how I can justify liking Dexter Wansel and hardcore acid/gabba simultaneously...