Wednesday, May 15, 2024

through rushes and through briars

 


I always heard the sampled lyric in "Sub Dub" as "through rushes and through briars" - thinking the word "rush" with its ravey connotations snagged the ear of DJ Seduction

Actually it's "Bushes and Briars"


Through bushes and through briars

I lately took my way

All for to hear the small birds sing

And the lambs to skip and play

All for to hear the small birds sing

And the lambs to skip and play


I overhead my own true love

His voice did sound so clear

Long time I have been waiting for

The coming of my dear

Long time I have been waiting for

The coming of my dear


Sometimes I am uneasy

And troubled in my mind

Sometimes I think I'll go to my love

And tell to him my mind


But if I should go to my love

My love he will say “nay”

If I show to him my boldness

He'll ne'er love me again

If I show to him my boldness

He'll ne'er love me again


In  Energy Flash I took a wild guess and said it sounds like Maddy Prior

See, I imagined some ardkore ooligan rifling through the parents's albums collection and alighting on some Steeleye Span

Slightly disappointing, then, to learn much, much later that it's from a sort of ambient house record, "West In Motion" 



Made by an Irish group called Bumble - the vocalist on this "Haunted Mix" (like it, like it) is Breda Mayock, which is a folk-rock maiden type of  name

There is an Andy Weatherall mix of this song that is admired by some 




Back to Seduction and "Sub Dub" (why is it called "Sub Dub" then?)



Did not know there was a crazy breaks remix of 'Sub Dub" with an even longer bit of the vocal




Or an DJ SS Rollers remix





Nor was I aware of this Dutch happy-gabber retake of the DJ Seduction tune, which Thirdform alerted me to in comments 




The song is a trad.arr and appears in the stiff (if beautifully Nic Roeg filmed) cinematic adaptation of Thomas Hardy's Far From the Madding Crowd.

Julie Christie "sings"



Actually it's Isla Cameron reprising her rendition from her own album - putting a lovely quiver through the melody. 




Apparently June Tabor did it also - on her very first recordings, which nobody has put out there



As did the witchily fetching Toni Arthur, best known for Play School as opposed to her folk-rock past 

Sandy Denny done it too - except she didn't, the song is completely different but has the same title. 



Which was then covered by Lee Ranaldo of all people. 




In terms of traditional music royalty - dynastic scion Eliza Carthy has notably had a go, with Nancy Kerr



It's said to be the very first traditional song that Vaughan Williams collected: 

"Sung by a 72-year-old labourer, Charles Potiphar.... Vaughan Williams...  experienced a deep sense of recognition as though “it was something he had known all his life”. Being new to folk song collecting, he only transcribed the first verse, and got the rest of the words from a late 19th-century broadside published by W.S. Fortey of Seven Dials (London). John Clare also noted the song in his manuscripts, compiled in the 1820’s"




Here's a cool version by The Swingle Singers, it sounds like a madrigal







2 comments:

Thirdform said...

have you heard the dutch happy gabber version?

Unintendedly saucey with that title Young Birds, although I don't think they would have known that in London slang, probably just wanted to escape Seduction on their case.

Here comes da pipe organs!

DJ Weirdo and Phil Amansky - Young Birds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-QLWdhcGyc

Seduction is a finsbury park boy but supports Spurs, which is an absolute crime in my book, much more than him ripping off Scott Brown or whoever (I can't remember the exact happy hardcore beef.)

He made loads of classics before '95 though.

SIMON REYNOLDS said...

No, I never did - excited to hear this unlikely extension of the chain