Thursday, March 21, 2024

RIP Splash (aka Daz Ellis aka Undercover Agent)

A soulja has faaaaaaaaaallen 

Splash aka Daz Ellis aka Darren Ellis is immortal for this


Impossible levels of personal thrills attained with the appearance - at the fade in this very clever fan video - of Ari Up hollering "Babylon lovers", sampled from "Luv Und Romance"off of Cut, the second album I ever bought. 

The full-length version


On some days this Splash tune is right up there with Sacred's "Do It Together" as the Anthem of the Era for me

Now Daz has gone to 



Not as familiar with the work he did under his other - main - identity Undercover Agent, although I daresay I'd recognise most of the tunes from hearing them out at raves or on the pirates. 

This one deserves love just for capturing a buzzphrase of back in the day


It always tickled me that MCs would go "ooh gosh" or "oh-mi-gosh" - seemed like some kind of weird throwback to the days of Just William or Jennings & Derbyshire. 

This one pretty ruff


Nice squeaky sped-up raggamuffin on this one





Daz Ellis started his own pirate station, Cyndicut FM 100.4 FM.



Then started his own label Splash Recordings which soon merged with Juice Records. 


Here's a playlist of much of Daz's releases


2 comments:

TF-Guy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TF-Guy said...

Man, so sad to know that! Daz and Remarc got me into jungle, and through a jungle passion, I got to know your work, Mr.Reynolds.

It got me thinking, one day Remarc will go, you too 😞😢