I was quite taken with the Bass-O-Matic album, cringe though the band name is
In the review, I make that cardinal rockcrit error of looking for the dance artist who can sustain at album level. Writing still from outside the culture at this point (October 1990, a year before the Conversion).
The technorave-chillout yen for Pink Floyd is worth a mini-essay - wasn't there some ambient house (89-90 phase) track that samples "Wish You Were Here"? Consults faded regions of the back brain - ah yes, Innocence, "Natural Thing"
The Orb obviously....
The KLF too.
And there was an ardkore track by the wonderfully named E that interpolated from The Wall - "Nobody's Home", the line "I've got a little black book with my poems in" became "oi! I've got a little black disk with me tune on it", and I think a bit of David Gilmour soloing also got sampled at the end. It's the first tune here
The technoptimism of this end of '80s /start of '90s moment is endearing - painfully poignant too, considering all that has happened since, from world stuff to the "bright promise of digital technology" going rancid.
All this stuff - Shamen and Deeelite particularly, but also The Grid, Adamski, The Orb, KLF, 808 State , Underworld, Humanoid / very early Future Sound of London etc, One Dove, Hypnotone ie. for the most part house music made by former rock people - all of it flashes me back to smart drinks, flotation tanks, Mondo 2000, Terence McKenna books, Nicholas Saunders, Fraser Clark, "zippies", etc etc
These blogs are Ciccone-free zones but "Ray Of Light" was one of Madonna's more bearable singles. I hope William made a lot of money off it and the album.
This is an Orbit tune the heads love
I am not sure I ever traced the William Orbit trail back to Torch Song
Joy pipes up: "I loved that song! I didn't know it was William Orbit!"
She thinks she must have heard it at Danceteria.


That Green approach to technology, as in Gartside?
ReplyDeleteNo, Green like eco
ReplyDeleteMy similarly rockist opinion on Bass-O-Matic is that they were a great live act. I saw them supporting Primal Scream, or possibly Deee-Lite, and they were fantastic. Made an immense sound from the electronics on stage.
ReplyDelete